Ralf wrote:

> Wrong. It was said half a year ago that the new camera has now an
> order number for the distributors and will cost 2-2.5x the MZ-5N
> price, and will definitively not be the flagship (you, Boz etc.).

Sure. I still holds true. It was also said that price estimate was most likely
In-price to the distributor (after all this is the only price they get at such an
early stage).

> Then Photokina came and specs were presented for a camera that would
> fit anything in the range $500 to $900. Pentax refused to give a
> price idea.

No they didn't. At Photokina it was clearly stated that it was set to compete with the
likes of the EOS3 and F100. Most of us figured out that if it was set compete with
these cameras then it would be ridiculous if costed half their price. So most of us
expected F100 territory price after that.

>Hence it was logical to think of it as an advanced mid
> class camera.

Sure it was a logical assumtion. However, it was the insistence on this in spite every
official and unoficial message on the contrary that seems a bit weird to me.
I'm not denying the fact it someone had shown me the MZ-S as presented at PMA without
any price estimate whatsoever and reference to built quality and semi-pro, then I
would also expected a price in the $600-700 range. But as far as I'm concerned, price
of a camera has very little bearing on its feature level.

>The price derives from Pentax special situation and sales
> projections in this class in my eyes.

I can't see any logical reason why this camera should cost less than the F100. The
shutter of the F100 can't be that much more expensive; neither the film transport. The
MZ-S also have features the F100 lacks. Whats more, people who have knowledge of the
cameras internals have clearly stated (to me) that parts of its high price is easily
explained in the way its built. Press releases imply the same thing.

>The F100 comparison is wishful
> thinking for many, but I admit that this is an opinion and we have
> yet to see what the verdict of the market will be.

It isn't wishful thinking. The MZ-S is placed clearly in F100 class. This is a fact.
It lacks the F100 fps rate but for many users this is of no importance. It is a
different interpretation of an F100 class of camera; thats a good idea, an F100 clone
would have been rather pointless and defensive.

Pål