Bo-Ming,

It seems that it's not only your girlfriend that is sentimentally
attached to the Contax...:-) The Contax is a great system, but I
agree with you in your worry about it's future in a digital world.

It seems to me that your real question is:

If you sell the Contax, can you hope to match the Contax optical
quality in a Pentax system, with the budget you get from selling
the Contax?

Or if you can go for Canon on the budget you get from selling both
the Contax and the Pentax?

Here's my suggestion:
1. Sell the Contax if you are 100% sure to go digital in a year or
two. I think you're right it may get a better price today.

2. The 77mm is, as you mention, a good lens, but expensive.
However, I think you can expect to afford more than that from
selling the Contax system. I hesitate to recommend other lenses to
you since I don't know your needs, but it might be a good idea to
sell the pentax zoom and buy eg. the FA*28-70/2.8 instead. If you
can manage to carry it on your travels. Or maybe the 31mm and 77mm
limiteds.

3. In a digital perspective, is sticking to Pentax a smart move?
Well, I don't know. However, I don't think the optics will become
obsolete for digital the way the G2 lenses will, so you will have
the option to sell off all the Pentax gear and change brands by
the time you decide to go digital.

4. If you think the Canon L-series will serve you better that what
Pentax can offer, why linger at all? :-)

5. I'm a bit surprised that you don't mention Nikon's alternatives
(I assume that you are the same Bo-Ming as the one maintaining the
Nikon FAQ; at least it's the same mail address). If you have
considered Nikon, would you mind sharing your thoughts with this
list? It would be very interesting for us to hear what you think.

good luck in your decision-making.

Best,
Jostein