What is important to understand with tripods is that a sharp image is just
one of the beneifits of using one. A tripod tends to slow the process of taking
a picture down, which is usually but, obviously not always, a good thing. It
allows the maker to examine the scene and compose it just right. When it is the
way you want it, you lock it down and that's your image. It allows you to
take longish exposures. It gives you the opportunity to use slower film (higher
quality) at the extremes of day when the light is better. It allows you to use
a cable release which further improves picture quality. There is more but I
think you get the point. If you are not using a tripod you are not maximizing
your potential or the potential of your equipment.
But, like everything in life. It's your choice..
There are times when a tripod is not necessary, or at least not convenient.
But, dare I say, that it is not anywhere near as often as many photographers
think it is.
Vic

You know, I don't think I am completely convinced that every picture has to
be supersharp or even very sharp. Or that sharpness is the #1 indicator of a
good picture. Or whatever.

Re tripods.

Marnie aka Doe  Smacks to me of the concept that a photograph should be as
close to realism as possible, because photography is all about realism and
nothing else.