Not quite keeping up, but spotting occasional messages here and
there.  This jumped out at me:

> Now, what if there were a "professional"
> critic there who were to disagree with the way we played the music.  Who
> would be correct, the critic, or us, who had the benefit of the composer's
> desire for how it should sound?  Seems to me the same would apply to a
> photographer's interpretation of his image.

Don't have time right now to go dig up the link I want to post
here (I'm in the middle of something with a deadline), but
Google for "intentional fallacy" if you're interested in seeing
writings on this question.  I'll try to find the good essay I
read a while ago, later.

                                        -- Glenn