Thanks Mark,
Paul

From: Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FA* 80-200mm f/2.8
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:59:48 -0400

"Paul Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What's the general opinion of this lens?

Totally amazing. Changed my opinion of zooms completely.

>Compared to the FA* 200mm f/2.8,

Don't know - I don't have this lens.

>F 100mm macro f/2.8

Comparable as far as optical quality goes  - but just in the most
general sense because I can't imagine the two lenses having much overlap
in the way they're actually used. The 80-200 *is* very good for "macro"
work when used with an extension tube or achromatic close-up lens. Even
without, it focuses much closer than most other 80-200 zooms.

>and the F 70-210mm f/4-5.6?

The 80-200 is much faster, larger, heavier and expensive. Also, its
front element doesn't rotate when focusing.

>What about the weight?

It has a great deal of it ;-) Still lighter than carrying several f/2.8
lenses to make up the range from 80mm to 200mm.

>And also if I can ask what you paid for yours used (of list if you want)?

$900.00 from KEH in "bargain" condition.

>I'm trying to determine what a reasonable price is.

I'd expect to pay $800.00 or less on eBay for one in similar condition,
but with expensive items like this I'm usually willing to pay the extra
money to get the extra reliability of KEH (not to mention their return
policy).

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing