One thing to always check into is close focusing before switching from
prime to zoom.  It is quite commonfor the prime to focus closer than the zoom.
If one needs/wants close focusing then the prime might be the better choice.
Seems I recall someone mentioning in this thread the FA* 80-200/2.8 doesn't focus
very close.

---
Bruce