On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, arnie wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the ist 35mm camera and
> how it stacks up vs. the zx-5n. some of the ist's features look very
> enticing - 11 point autofocus, advanced flash, 17 custom functions

I own both, although I really haven't used the ZX-5n in about a year.

The *ist D is a little bigger, better built, has faster autofocus, and
a different UI.  The ZX-5n UI is really the classic SLR UI, you set
aperature on the lens and shutter speed with a dial on top of the
camera.  The *ist D UI is the modern SLR UI, you have two jog dials on
the body, one of which sets aperature and one of which sets shutter
speed.  The ZX-5n UI is really nice if you love classic SLRs, but the
*ist D UI has the advantages of supporting hypermanual and
hyperprogram.  Those are two features that I never really thought
I'd care about until I owned a camera with them.  Now I pretty much
use either hypermanual or hyperprogram for every shot.

I should probably sell my ZX-5n, but I'm afraid that they probably
don't fetch too much on the used market.  I also have an MX and think
I'd grab it if I was shooting film.

alex