I'm sure that the market for SLRs of any kind is pretty small,
and getting smaller every year.

The 35mm SLR was successful against the cameras of the day because
it was smaller, lighter, and cheaper.  The picture quality wasn't
as good, but it was good enough.  And the SLR design was ideal for
interchangeable-lens systems.

Today the digital point-and-shoots are smaller and lighter than
the SLR-based designs.  The picture quality is certainly good
enough for most users, and the optical quality of all but the
cheapest models is impressive.  Look at what you can get from
Sony or Nikon for $500-$600.  Very few people will need the
extra flexibility of an interchangeable-lens system when you
can get cameras that fit in your pocket with 8x or 10x zoom.

Sure, there will continue to be a small market for SLRs, both
film and digital.  But even there it looks as though the digital
market is moving to smaller, lighter models; both Canon and Pentax
are introducing smaller, lighter lenses for the smaller sensors.

In the perpetual tradeoff between quality and convenience the
arguments for stopping at the 35mm-sized SLR are decreasing.