On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This is interesting perception of Canon, because it means folks have a short
> memory. Ignoring the Kodak/Nikon/Canon DSLRs for the moment, The Nikon D1 was
> out well before the Canon D30. Canon was playing catchup to Nikon in the
> begining (at least a year). Now things are back to the status quo with Canon
> being a step ahead of Nikon.

It's more of a leap-frog.

The Nikon D2H, which very few if any people actually have in their hands
right now but is promised this month, is better than the equivalent Canon
EOS-1D.  Canon isn't sitting still, of course, so their next offering will
be better than the D2H.
Nikon has been playing catch-up with lens technology of late but now has a
couple of lens offerings that Canon will want to match.

Pentax, Minolta, and Olympus aren't playing the
cutting-edge-pro-technology game because at this point Nikon and Canon
have a huge lead.  Honestly it has never been Pentax's strong point.
Pentax wins with cameras like the ME Super.  Given this, I'd have thought
that they would make something more like the MZ-D would have been for
the die-hard Pentax nuts and something more like the Canon digital rebel
to compete in the "ME Super" market.  Of course the digital rebel probably
caught all the other camera companies flat-footed, just as the D1 did.

DJE