On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Alan Chan wrote:

> >I admit to being a little confused as to why more people don't like
> >Pentax's p&s digitals.  Pentax has always excelled at putting out small,
> >well-featured, well-built products.  They're rarely the first on the
> >market, but they're usually worth the wait.
>
> Not that I can see for the digital market so far. Pentax have some
> reasonable digital cameras but they are exactly so unique to draw much
> attention from the competitions.

Again, I like them because they're unique, and it actually makes them
easier to sell.  It's a love/hate thing.  If you're showing a customer 5
cameras that all look the same and then one Pentax that is completely
different, the odds are maybe 50/50 that they'll like the Pentax over the
other 5, instead of being 1/6.

> >What do most people want in a p&s digital?  Something small enough that
> >they'll take it places, something reasonably well-built, and something
> >with as much flexibility as you can fit into a small body.
>
> Perhaps I have a different way to approach the digital products. The 1st
> thing I check is the picture quality. If they aren't good, I don't care.
> Why bother to produce a 5MP model when the images are that good anyway?
> I might just stay with a cheap 2MP for snaps and 4x6" prints only.

Optical quality is important to me, but I don't have excessive
expectations for p&s digital.  It's hard to find a 5MP digital that takes
really bad photos, and I'd feel comfortable enlarging the Optio 550's
shots to 5x7.  I haven't made any 8x10's with one yet, but the 5x7's I've
seen from the 550 have been superb.

And it's a matter of perspective.  I don't expect my SLR to fit in my
pocket, so why should I expect my p&s to take as good a photo as my SLR?
If it could, I wouldn't need the SLR.  :)  A 5MP p&s digital is good
enough for most standard shots, but if I'm going to put the emphasis on
image quality then I'll probably bring my SLR instead.

> >Most people are probably familiar with the Optio S, which might still be
> >the smallest 3MP digital with a 3x optical zoom.  Definitely in a class by
> >itself.
>
> Everywhere I checked, the Casio is better than the Optio S. It's selling
> point is compact size, and only imho.

Is this the one that uses Pentax lenses?  We don't carry Casio, so I'm not
as familar with their stuff.

> Marketing aside, I think Pentax need a new way to design their digital
> products. They look too much like the traditional P&S. Sony, for
> example, have good designs imho, and that alone made themselves to the
> hands of many teenagers.

Possibly, but that can backfire as well.  Nikon's SQ is turning off a lot
of people.  I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some more innovative
designs, though, given the different requirements of digital p&s's.

chris