On 12/10/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>I wonder how many users of digital equipment carry a white card to do white
>balancing?  Just like how many digital slr users carry a light meter around
>with them all the time so they can get more accurate metering that their
>dslr doesn't seemingly give them.  Lots of extra stuff to carry.

I tend to use the presets on mine depending on the light. I've been white
balancing for 12 years shooting tv news and there is not one lighting
situation that I come across that I couldn't tell you to within 200 deg K
what the colour is.

Tip, if you're shooting available light indoors with mixed lighting
sources - ie daylight coming in through the windows and tungsten bulbs on
etc, and you're not using flash, set the WB for about 4400 - that's half
way between tungsten (3200) and daylight (5600) and known in my trade as
'half blue'. That way you don't get horrible blue low key in the shadows,
and the faces aren't burnt out like lobsters from the table lamps ;-)

Worst light to use? Sodium Discharge lamps. Yuk.

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__
Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk