That is true, Cotty. Production is pretty much the same as always. It is the projection end that is changing. There is still a lot of 16mm shot too, but it is usually mastered on to video tape (digital or not) for distribution.

However as an aside, I have a hard time thinking that a 100 seat theater that charges $1.50 admission can spend a million dollars to upgrade to digital. Some of these little theators actually project 16mm as the equipment is much cheaper than with 35. 50 years ago there were 1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier theators, now there are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, ... 12th, etc., and not many of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. My very first paycheck job (1959) was at a 1st tier theater in Detroit. We could not get the very top rated film openings because we only had 1500 seats or so while the other two had 2500.

Cotty wrote:

On 28/10/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

Have you taken into account that 35 mm film is used in cinema as well?
There will eventually be a shift to digital there as well, but hardly in
five years time.

in the US, there is wholesale replacement of film with digital projectors
for commercial movie theaters. yes, they will retain film for a while, but
not a long while, since the films wear out so quickly. after that, it will
be the boutique and art film theaters only that continue to use film.

I have bad news. Motion pictures for cinema release are still shot on
35mm negative. True.

Cheers, Cotty

___/\__ || (O) | People, Places, Pastiche ||=====| www.macads.co.uk/snaps _____________________________ Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."