On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, dosk wrote:

> So the PZ1p's Predictive AF is "continuous", while the ZX5n's is not?
> First I heard of this.... Geez, I thought that's what "Predictive AF'
> meant.?! Continuous. Following a moving subject. (In both cameras.) I
> wonder if Pentax is aware that it's Predictive AF option does not work
> properly in all of its ZX5ns?

As a few people pointed out, predictive and continuous AF are not the
same.  Continuous (also called "servo") AF will focus continually, even
while just holding the shutter button down.  As long as you are putting
pressure on the shutter button, it will be focusing.  Predictive AF works
just after you press the shutter button to take the picture.  That's where
the camera calculates the velocity and direction of the subject and alters
the position of the focusing ring to compensate for the subject's movement
between the time you press the button and when the curtains actually move.

> And I didn't mean to say 6-segment AF (as you probably knew anyway, Ed) but
> 3-point AF.  According to B&H's literature about this camera, the ZX5n has 4
> AF modes:
> [1] 3-Point. [2] Spot. [3] Predictive.  And, [4] Manual. And this certainly
> does not sound like your statement  ".....the ZX5n has no user controllable
> AF modes...."   Am I missing something here? Is the literature exaggerated?

It's not exaggerated as such, but it is misleading.  You can focus
manually (manual) or automatically.  If you focus automatically, you can
choose either to have the camera pick one of the focusing points for you
(3-point), or you can tell it to only focus on the center sensor
(spot).  You have no control over predictive AF; it just does it.

> And my questions about the ZX5n still remain unanswered; in which of
> the three (non-manual) AF options does the ZX5n work better for moving
> objects?

That really depends on what you're trying to shoot, doesn't it?  If you
want your subject in the center and it's relatively large and easy to
track, go with the spot AF.  If you want it off-center, or if it's smaller
and harder to track, go with the 3-point.

You can achieve the illusion of continuous AF with the 5n by using the
continuous shooting button.  If you put it on that mode, it will fire as
fast as it can while still focusing between each shot.  That might be the
best way to follow some moving subjects if you don't mind burning a lot of
film.

> And does "predictive AF' work in both 3-Point and Spot modes,
> or is it something entirely different altogether...?

It works in both, AFAIK.

> (Y'know, I like my ZX-M for what it does now. But I've been
> considering getting an AF camera, and hearing all this stuff (from
> Pentax fans, no less!) about how poor the Pentax AF systems are, I'm
> beginning to wonder if I haven't made a mistake buying into this
> Pentax stuff instead of maybe going with another, better operating,
> system???  (Where maybe I won't have to spend close to $1000 (for an
> MZS) just to get a camera with a good AF system... Hell, if I wanted
> need to spend that kind of money, why not go for an F-100 and be done
> with it!?) Skip

Because there's more to photography than the ability of an AF system to
track rapidly moving objects.

chris