On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Peter Smith wrote:

> Chris Brogden wrote:
>
> > Not to mention a battery drainer.  If you want to see annoying, check out
> > the AF assist on the MZ-30 and MZ-7.  It's a strobe flash.  I can almost
> > hear the batteries being sucked dry.  :)
>
> What evidence do you have for this Chris?  In my experience as a user
> I find that the number of times the MZ7 actually chooses to use the
> strobe is minimal. When it does choose to then it obviously finds such
> use beneficial - therefore so do I.

I'm not questioning that it's beneficial.  It's definitely helpful in
certain situations, and if you don't want to use it then you can always
lower the flash.  My post was a response to a comment that the Rebel's AF
assist was annoying.  I said that the MZ's assist was more annoying
(read: more annoying for those people who are bothered by the Rebel's).
I'm not saying that it's not helpful or that the camera uses the assist a
lot, just that it is very bright, can be annoying to whoever is standing
in front of it (experience talking here), and is hard on batteries when it
uses it.

chris