On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, dosk wrote:

> Well lessee now.... The ZX5n has only predictive AF, while the PZ1 and PZ1p
> have continuous AF, AND predictive AF...!!
> Izzat right?
> Okay........

No, it's not.  If you want to know how it works, *read* our posts on the
matter.  There have been at least two or three good replies (mine
included) that explained it in simple language.  It's very irritating to
have someone misread what we've said so blatantly.  How can you say that
after I explained what predictive AF was?  *Read* it.  Sorry if I'm
bitter... it's been a long day manning the camera counter at work.

> So that means I would like the AF options on the PZ's much better, because
> all else being equal, it should be far easier for me to capture my sports
> loving grandchildren at their (hard driving) play with the PZ1's than with
> the ZX/MZ's.

Agreed.  I tried to track some moving birds once, and it was *so* much
easier with the Z1-p than with the MZ-5n.

> (Even though there's more to photography than capturing fast moving
> targets, as some of you have been so kind as to remind me of this
> great mountain top secret...)

That was me who said that.  Though of course it depends on the type of
photography you like to do.  If most of what you do is capture fast-moving
objects, then it matters.  :)  I just don't see the need to dismiss Pentax
because of its AF performance, and that's the impression I got from your
post.  No big deal, we've moved on.

> Okay.
> But I like the shape and feel and look of the ZX/MZ cameras better.
> Okay.
> So when does this stupid MZ-S camera come out in the USA anyway? What is
> Pentax  waiting for, an engraved invitation?
> {Sigh...}

:)  Patience...

> (BTW, I just recently got a web look at some of the publicity and hoopla
> that accompanied Pentax's last great triumphful door busting release, the
> MZ5. And this publicity release stated that the camera was going to list in
> the USA for $800-$900, and would probably sell discounted for around $600.)
> (Sound familiar to anyone?)

Really?!  That's interesting.  Makes one hope...

chris