On 3 Nov 2003 at 22:35, John Francis wrote:

> Oops.  Make that IR and near-IR, not UV.
>
> There is increased sensitivity into the UV, too, but that causes
> things to look more blue, not more red.  Proof-read more carefully!

If the *ist D is like most other cameras it will have a hot mirror  (IR cut)
directly in front of the CCD (which may also act as a anti-aliasing diffuser).
I have seen a few web sites that test the effect of IR cut filters and most
showed marginal effects.

What can cause radical colour shifts in low light (particularly instances with
low blue content) is electronic colour balance. When I'm shooting under
tungsten or other low Ctemperature lamps I use a blue filter, of course it
kills your effective ISO but there is always more blue channel captured and
colours are more accurate.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998