On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Rob Studdert wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2003 at 22:35, John Francis wrote:
> > Oops.  Make that IR and near-IR, not UV.
> >
> > There is increased sensitivity into the UV, too, but that causes
> > things to look more blue, not more red.  Proof-read more carefully!
>
> If the *ist D is like most other cameras it will have a hot mirror  (IR cut)
> directly in front of the CCD (which may also act as a anti-aliasing diffuser).
> I have seen a few web sites that test the effect of IR cut filters and most
> showed marginal effects.

The *ist D filter isn't very strong.  You can put a near-IR filter
onto the camera (such as the Hoya R72) and shoot handheld IR shots.
Most digital cameras don't do that and you end up needing to mount
them on a tripod for IR shots.  If you don't have the filter you can
also just point a IR remote at the camera and take a picture and
you'll see the IR LEDs lighting up.

http://phred.org/~alex/pictures/pentax-ir/reduced/olympics-ir.jpg is
an IR shot taken with the *ist D and Hoya R72 filter.  I don't have
EXIF on there anymore, but by memory it was shot at f4 and 1/60.
http://phred.org/~alex/pictures/pentax-ir/ is full of other shots
straight out of the camera from when I was playing with this (none
have interesting subject matter).

alex