Street photography is most certainly art. The street photographer must recognize a worthy image in a matter of seconds and act immediately. I've blown so many great photos, it makes me cry. I don't think there's any greater measure of photographic skill than that of capturing the moment as it happens and doing it well. You can't do that with paint and canvas. You can only do it with a camera.
Paul