And what might the thickness of one's glasses have to do with a person's mental
state?  If thick glasses may indicate mental problems, perhaps a blind person
should be institutionalized or given a lobotomy, as their mental problems may be
far greater, and people wearing contact lenses might just need a mild sedative.
But it's good that you think of this, that the photo makes you think and wonder
about what's going on with this person.

Is street photography art?  Well, I suppose you might want to start by defining
street photography.  But, IMO, by any sense of the definition, it certainly is,
just as much as a close-up of a flower petal.

The fact that you're uncomfortable with the photo in question, is, in my
estimation, a very good thing.  Of all the things a photo should do, making you
uncomfortable, making you think, making you, perhaps, look inside yourself,
instead of just at a pleasant image on an exhibitor's wall, is one of them.
Regardless of anything else, that makes the photo (any photo) a success.

If you're uncomfortable with the photo (as opposed to just not liking it for
whatever reason), perhaps it's touching something inside of you that needs to be
touched, brought to the surface, and looked at more closely.

Does every photo have to have a redeeming message?  Maybe this one does and you
just don't see it.  Maybe you're right, and it doesn't.  Maybe, as has been
suggested here, it just stands by itself, and YOU are the message.
You said it in your sig line ... you've gotta find the way yourself <vbg>

shel