> Shel Belinkoff wrote:
>
> My question to the list:  Should this photo have been taken?  Do you
> think it is overly critical of the subject or sympathetic, or perhaps
> judgmental?  Maybe I'm being critical of myself, using the photo to work
> through or better understand my own situation and problems.
>
> See for yourself, and share your thoughts:
> http://home.earthlink.net/~scbelinkoff/bigeater.html

Shel,

I didn't read your title but simply cut and pasted the URL.
I looked and immediately pulled down my mental window shades.
I hate looking at that photo for the emotions it stirs in me.
I weigh to much and am dieting in front of Tuesday's doctor visit.
Weight loss is a very difficult thing for me...

Overall, it's a very strong photo for me.  It protrays the ugliness of
obesity.
I also see the fragility of the woman in the way she clutches the drink.

I didn't pay much attention to the fast food menu in the background until I
had my second look.  I think the juxtaposition is pure baloney, the easy
cliche!  You can do much better than this.

You know that I work for a fast food company.  I don't believe much of
anything written in 'Fast Food Nation', but that's sensational pandering to an
audience to sell books... used to be called yellow journalism when you and I were
kids. :-)

However, I see lots of overweight Americans belly up to the fast food
counter.  These fat folks would make your social commentary point just as
dramatically as that poor woman does, without the potential pain you are inflicting on
her.  She is sick, morbidly obese.

I think you can take the photo, but how you use it is the moral question.  To
imply that it is caused by fast food is misleading.  She had an eating
disorder, a sickness.  Does this make her less repulsive?  No, I don't think so.
Should you tell her she is beautiful because you are sympathetic to her
situation?  No.  Should you be tolerant and try to see past your repulsion?  Probably,
but that's all inside you.

Well, enough for now
Bob S.