> I have looked at the DCRAW sources last week, and one part that is
> missing for Pentax PEF format is reading the white-balance as set on
> the camera and use that as a basis for the conversion.
>
> At the moment DCRAW completely ignores that setting, so you have to
> specify a specific white-balance correction on every image.
> They use a "green-multiply" and a "blue-multiply" value for that.
>
> So what is needed is some code that interprets the Pentax specific
> white-balance camera settings, and translates that to the proper
> multiply values for DCRAW.
>
> But John Francis has been digging deeper into this stuff so I am
> pretty sure he will have some more details ...

Well, I know something about what the Pentax code does, at any rate.

It looks as though a first guess at values for dcraw green and blue
multipliers might be as follows for the eight white balance presets:

1: 0.67 0.62 Daylight
2: 0.61 0.51 Cloudy
3: 0.58 0.44 Shade
4: 0.54 0.52 Daylight Fluorescent Light
5: 0.63 0.69 Neutral White Fluorescent Light
6: 0.70 0.93 White Fluorescent Light
7: 1.05 2.00 Tungsten Light
8: 0.57 0.49 Flash

But the translation to RGB space is rsther more complicated than
the simple linear scaling that dcraw uses.