I tried SLR's for my girls - now 14 & 16.  The cost of film/processing
was killing me.  They were very willing to shoot all the film I would
give them.  Most of it very exploratory.  Since getting them digital
P&S's, they have had much more fun learning and exploring and I have
had much more fun not paying for lot's of silly shots.  The bottom end
Optio (whatever that is now) would be more than adequate.  One
daughter has a Canon A10 (1.3MP) and the other has an Optio 230 (2MP).
 You can get a reasonable 5X7 out of either camera.  They shoot to
 their heart's content. You win all the way around.

--
Best regards,
Bruce