I buy from my local store quite often.  However, there are times, when
the price difference is not a few bucks, but hundreds.  If the
difference is less than $50, pretty much I use the local store.

The other problem with the local store is selection/availability.  I
just bought an FA*24/2 from NY because the local store would take 3-4
weeks to get it.  Generally if they have to order one, the price is
higher, too.

So bottom line is I buy from the store whenever I can, especially if I
went in to look at something and they took the time to work with me.

Bruce

Wednesday, December 17, 2003, 8:51:52 AM, you wrote:

>> In way of a comparison, I work at a reasonably small, family-owned camera
>> store where the salespeople (well, most of them, anyway <g>) have a fair
>> amount of knowledge about cameras and photography.  I hate people who buy
>> cameras from places like Costco or Best Buy to save a few bucks (without
>> checking to see if we'd match prices), and then come into our store and
>> expect me to spend an hour showing them how to use their camera.  If you
>> want service, buy from the company you plan on bringing the camera back to
>> for servicing.

mw> I agree with everything you say.  Sad that there is not one near to me
mw> that I would trust.  Although there is a camera repair organisation
mw> (closer to me than any camera shop) that everyone around here uses for
mw> non-warranty stuff.

mw> mike