----- Original Message -----
From: "William Robb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

(snip)

> This is why I am giving colour print film 5 years before it mostly goes
> away.
>
> William Robb

Don't a lot of countries have a ten year support rule for newly sold
products?  I thought that was the reason the LX is still fully serviced by
Pentax but M and A series camera bodies are no longer serviced by them.  It
wouldn't be hard for a clever legal mind to argue that "support" also means
the provision of consumables that the product requires.  I notice that Fuji
and Kodak still sell film cameras, so I guess that commits them to selling
film for ten more years at least.  But of those two companies, only Fuji
sells pro-grade film cameras, so perhaps only Fuji has any obligation either
legal or moral to keep pro-grade film on the shelves.

Remember in the late 1970s when Kodak was forced to cease selling instant
film-packs and Ektaflex (correct name?) instant enlarging paper, because
they'd infringed Polaroid's patents.  They were also obliged to buy back all
the hardware that had been sold, because obviously they were unable to
continue support of those products with consumables.  But at other times
when a product has failed (e.g. Disc) or demand for it has dried up (e.g.
110 Instamatic) they've let the consumables trickle onto the shelves for the
required period at least, so no legal liability to the owners of orphaned
cameras.

When Kodak and Fuji both withdraw film cameras from sale is when I'll begin
stockpiling film.

regards,
Anthony Farr