Bob,

No argument from me that film will be easy to find, it will be at the back
of the store or behind the counter in all likelihood, perhaps even by
special order only in many stores.

Did you read the article at
<http://apnews.excite.com/article/20031223/D7VK80IO0.html> that kicked off
this discussion?  Disc film was discontinued in 1998!  Come again?  Who sold
it?  Where was it?  I haven't seen a Disc film since the mid-80s.  It
reminds me of "The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy", when it was revealed
both where Arthur Dent's municipal council and the Vogons placed their
respective development plans for public perusal.  It won't be easy, but film
~will~ be available somewhere and somehow for at least ten years after the
last own-brand film camera from a film manufacturer is withdrawn from sale.

You'd better believe that every other camera manufacture is watching Kodak
and Fuji ~very~ closely, and not making any major new development in film
cameras that isn't simply a spinoff or a parallel development of a digital
camera, so that any project investment isn't a total loss if they miss the
"ten year bell", i.e. if Kodak and Fuji kill their lines of film cameras
without warning.  A warning would be if "new" K or F film cameras started to
be just minor tweaks or relabellings of existing ones, and no new shapes,
chassis or features were forthcoming for a year or two.  Don't rule out
industrial espionage as a form of information exchange, either.

Fuji only recently launched (with Hasselblad) a major new line of  medium
format cameras.  I also believe that they have recently launched, or are
soon to launch, a new version of the X-Pan (again jointly with Hasselblad).
They will certainly want several years of sales from these cameras.  Thus
any non-film producing manufacturer can be confident that Fuji is in the
~camera~ business for a few more years, and will therefore be in the ~film~
business for a few more years plus ten.

regards,
Anthony Farr