From: Herb Chong [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 December 2003 13:31
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: What do you think?

you can profile a film and a digital camera and directly match the
digital camera to the film's profile over a moderately wide number of
conditions. this is most easily done in a studio situation where the
lighting is highly controlled. where lighting is less controlled, it is
more work. it may require multiple exposures of the same scene to
reproduce the dynamic range of film with current SLR sensors, but by
using the same technique, it is possible to comfortably exceed the
dynamic range of any film. specialized large format digital camera backs
exist that have more dynamic range than print film without the necessity
of multiple exposures. adding grain back is trivial. so long as you are
working within the resolution limits of your capture device, it's not a
lot of work. some of these are plugins and some are just general tools
that any professional image editor should have anyway. once you are
happy with the resolution of your sensor, i don't see why anyone would
want to limit themselves to only what film can do.

Herb...