Well, Herb, we're coming at this from entirely different perspectives ... I
don't want to edit digital stuff through photoshop to give me something similar
to what I get from film.  And, frankly, it's hard for me to believe that Grain
Surgery will provide the wide variety of grain patterns and texture available
with different films, different exposures, different developers, and different
developing and processing techniques.  Are you suggesting that Grain Surgery
will give me the grain of Efke 25 processed in ID-II, or Tri-X pushed two stops
and processed in Acufine, or HP5+ in Rodinal 1:50?  The idea of making a digital
image imitate a film-based photograph just seems silly to me.

As for color, well, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the same situation
exists, because different films and exposures provide different degrees of
graininess.  Will Grain Surgery deal with those difference?

What seems to be happening is that the digital people want digital to be all
things to all people, so software is developed to get digitally captured images
to imitate to some degree that which film does.  Frankly, I like the digital
image for what it is, and the silver-based photographic image for what it is.