Hi,

well, now you've put me on the spot! These numbers are useful for
predicting how big you can go before you start to lose apparent
sharpness, but they depend on what you as the photographer are trying
to achieve. That's why they can't be treated as rules. In the end you
decide how big you want your prints to be and that's that. Whether
they are sharp or not is for the viewers (who include you) to decide
for themselves. You probably want the critical parts to look sharp
from about 15cm away because people peer closely at exhibition prints,
instead of being good and looking from the regulation distance. People
also typically want to look at quite large prints, but don't adjust
their viewing distance, so you have to consider these human factors,
rather than just relying on the numbers - you want it to look sharp
from about 15cm away, but you want it blown up to about 60x40cm
(24x16"). You can't necessarily have both because if you shoot 35mm
your CoC's too small. 0.009mm. Sorry.

I suppose in theory you could measure some important points and scale
them up to see if they would look sharp in a bigger print. More
practically you could look at the depth-of-field in an existing proof
print, say 15x10cm (6x4") and work out approximately how big you can
reasonably go before it starts to look unsharp, or keep zooming in
with the enlarger until the critical parts start to look unsharp.

There's a nice simple explanation and diagram of CoC here:
http://www.tpub.com/content/photography/14209/css/14209_37.htm. You
need to grasp this to understand depth-of-field, which depends on it.
In your example below, you will have reduced depth-of-field in the
prints compared to smaller versions, or the same size seen from a
different viewing distance. This may or may not be important - only
you can decide. At some magnification and distance nothing will look
sharp; at others, everything will.

0.036mm is not a number you have to try and conform to, it's just a
pragmatically useful reference point used as a constant in optical
calcualtions. You probably could conform to it by shooting for a
specific size of print, being very careful about your depth-of-field
calculation, and controlling the viewing distance, but really this
is only likely to be practical (if at all) if you're shooting for
billboards or something.

--
Cheers,
 Bob