Both, John .... some med format film is different from their 35mm
counterparts, but really, the image quality and tone change with degrees of
enlargement.  You'd see about the same degradation of quality if a med
format neg was enlarged to the same degree as a 35mm neg.

A 35mm contact print has beautiful tonality, and by the time it reaches an
8x enlargement that beauty has degraded quite a bit.  Make an 8X enlargement
from 120 film and you'd see a similar degradation.  However, an 8x 120 film
enlargement is about 18 inches X whatever, and one doesn't usually see such
large prints, and when they are viewed, they're viewed from a distance
greater than when viewing an 8x10 print, and the degradation isn't as
obvious.  Move closer, to 8x10 viewing range, and you'll begin to see the
image coming apart just like a print made from a 35mm negative.

HTH

shel