On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, at 03:37 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I agree. I recall Doug Brewer recently telling Tanya that, although she was
talented, many of her shots looked like recycled versions of other people's
ideas. "Perhaps that is true", I said to myself, "but I have seldom seen
wedding shots that don't." Certainly I've never seen any wedding photographer
on THIS list produce stuff that struck me as truly original. That is not to
say that it is not beautiful - some of it is most striking.

I think that, considering the various forces and demands tugging at the wedding
shooter from the sundry directions, obtaining good results, let alone great or
original results, is a respectable feat.

When I wrote that, I was not writing specifically about wedding photography. It crossed my mind that I should write something to indicate I meant Tanya's work on the whole, but as I'm easily distracted, the thought didn't stay in my head too long.

Certainly when a client hires a wedding photographer, he/she expects a wedding photographer rather than someone who has decided to take this opportunity to do a study on footwear. You'll see in every photographer's work something that someone else has done similarly. Note I didn't say, better or worse, just similarly.

The trick, of course, is to make the shot your own.

Doug