> Hi!
>
> JF> You missed the most important part:  "... complete with LCD".
>
> JF> I know I can trigger the shutter release - I don't even need a Palm
> JF> Pilot (or other PDA) for that.  I want to be able to look at the
> JF> resulting image, histogram display, etc.   I don't think we'll see
> JF> that on the *ist-D, but I'd like to see it on a future camera model.
>
> Indeed I did miss that. That is I rather misunderstood you. You see,
> the highest modern PDA can go is either 320x240 (soon to be 640x480 or
> thereabouts) or 480x320... I don't know about you, but none of the
> above looks any reasonable to me for the purpose in discussion. So it
> kind of never occurred to me that you meant *that* <g>.
>
> I think that if I were rich enough to buy *istD or similar, I'd also
> buy big enough a card and shoot like crazy. Then I would review my
> stuff on the screen of my PC. At least, it is 17" and can do 1600x1200
> if I ask nicely <g>. It is 1152x864 by default...

That's not a lot of good when I'm 400 miles from home, and my camera
is about 20' away from me on a bracket (and somewhere where I'm not
allowed to stand).  I'm just looking for a remote equivalent of the
LCD screen on the back of the camera, which is perfectly good enough
for checking exposure with the histogram, and something I don't want
to give up if I don't have to.  That's the purpose under discussion,
and I think even a 320x240 PDA would be good enough for that.

The instant exposure check with the histogram (and even focus check by
zooming in to part of the resultant image) is a valuable part of the
benefits from a digital camera, and not something to discard lightly.