Part of the equation to making this work lies in shortening the flash duration. I don't know how current strobes work, but I recall that the old Honeywell Strobonars could be as fast as 1/50.000 of a second when the range was short and the flash was on auto exposure. In fact, I think the Honeywell units were used for some of these shots.
Paul