Bob W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Those were photos from Doc Edgerton's lab at MIT.
>> They used some good size flash tubes, and
>> I believe a microphone was used to trigger the flash.
>
>> Polaroid film and open the shutter, fire the gun,
>> which triggers the flash, and you see where the bullet is.
>> Then, adjust the microphone closer or farther away from the gun,
>> to get the bullet where you want it in the frame.
>
>I'm speaking from a position of almost total ignorance here, but
>surely a bullet is travelling 2 or 3 times faster than sound? Over the
>short distances involved is it really possible to do this?

I don't know anything about the velocity of bullets, but even if they do
travel at Mach 3 all you'd have to do is position the target 3 feet from
the gun and the microphone 1 foot away and you'd be pretty much
synchronized.

>I would have thought a light or electric trigger would be better.
>e.g. fit the trigger or the hammer of the gun with an electrical gizmo
>to fire the flash.

A microphone was deemed the easiest way to go: No attachments or
modifications to the gun; most equipment readily available off-the
shelf. Edgerton claims he got his first shot (the bullet going through
the apple, IIRC) on his first try. Clearly, this was a man not
unaccustomed to precise laboratory work!

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing