You call some excellent photography "pap?"
No, it isn't reportage or documentary.
Must "good" photography be one or the other to you?

I guess we have different viewpoints about what is good. Not that that's
a problem, but I'm surprised you find it hardly worth your time, because
"Surprisingly lacking by comparison is reportage or documentary work."

That compilation was apparently not an announced contest, for which
national or international awards were given, to become a place where a
photographer made his mark. . .

Sounds to me those images were chosen because of universal appeal, and
excellence of the process of recording the image, all of which exhibited
to a fine degree.

I liked them!

keith whaley