On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 17:53:15 +0200, Frank Wajer wrote:

>has anyone tested the Pentax (F)A* 300mm f2.8 with the Pentax
>teleconverters.

Yes, I have been using the A* 300mm 2.8, in itself a superb lens!

Combined with the 1.4x L converter (the gray one with a "snout") it is
still very good, no vignetting even wide open.

Still waiting for a 2x L converter to show up 2nd hand :-(

I also tested the lens combined with the new SIGMA APO 1.4x and 2x
AF teleconverters. The sharpness and contract is acceptable, maybe
slightly less than the Pentax 1.4x L.

Both APO converters do strongly vignet though when used wide open,
this makes them almost useless for my type of shooting (wildlife).

>I'm looking for the best telelens investment, filling the 300-600mm focal
>range.
>This lens plus teleconverters would give me:
>
>300mm f2.8
>420mm f4
>600mm f5.6

Yes, that is what I am aiming for too, just need the 2xL converter ...

>The 300 f4 lens gives 600 f8, which is a bit slow.
>Any opinions?

Yes, although the lens is quite good (the F(A) 300mm 4.5 might be even better)
it is too slow to use with the 2x converters.

BTW: I recently saw a A* 400mm 2.8 for sale for about $3200 but that
is a real heavy beast to lug arround ...

Regards, JvW