I bought the 400 f2.8 with the intent to generally use it with teleconverters. In controlled tests, the sharpness of the lens, even with the 2x-L teleconverter, is phenominal.

The only issue that I have run into is that at times the teleconverters wreak havoc on the Bokeh.  It's weird, but sometimes I get beautiful bokehs, sometimes I get odd bokehs were there is destinct details in the background (even though they are faint) and other times the bokeh looks like a bad mirror lens.  Some examples:

Nice Bokeh:

with the 1.4x:
http://www.markcassino.com/0002/0002n01.htm

with the 2x:
http://www.markcassino.com/0007/gallery2/0007nbk.htm

Odd Bokeh:

with the 1.4x:
http://www.markcassino.com/0007/gallery1/0007ne.htm

with the 2x:
http://www.markcassino.com/0007/gallery2/0007nbu.htm

Ugly Bokeh:

2x -
http://www.markcassino.com/0007/gallery2/0007ndx.htm

I don't have any uglies with the 1.4x....

The other draw back to the teleconverters is that they do introduce another element of camera shake.  I was particularly having problems with the 1.4x-L but found that is was just plain loose, and tightening a screw helped a lot.

- MCC