I do think that their is merit in what Shel is saying.  I think that for the
likes of Ansel Adams etc, if you are shooting with glass plates, medium
format etc, and you only have one or two frames left, you are really FORCED
to THINK about what you are going to put into the photograph.  You would
probably spend much more side on the technical stuff to ensure that it is
JUST right, iykwim, so that you don't, in effect, waste an opportunity...

With digital you probably tend to shoot a little more frivolously in the
hope that the general rules of probability would allow you to get "the" shot
at some time...

On the other hand though, being ABLE to shoot freely without regard to film
etc, may allow you in certain circumstances to get "that" grab shot that
could have been missed whilst you were busy working out the technical stuff
for the MF shot.  For example, just the other day someone referred to
shooting kids, VERY accurately (was it Bruce?) and said how you may think
that you "get" the shot and only two seconds later, they pull something out
of the hat with an expression or pose that was totally unexpected and that
totally overtakes what you just shot moments earlier.

When I was shooting those product shots a few weeks ago, being able to shoot
digital was invaluable.  The packaging included a highly reflective sticker
that I hadn't even considered until seeing the shot on the screen on the
back of the camera and I had to adjust my lighting many times before I was
able to get the shot without reflections and hot spots on those labels.  Had
I been shooting film, I would have sent the films off to the lab
none-the-wiser and have been totally heartbroken when they all arrived home
looking like crap and requiring probably more than one re-shoot...

One thing I have noticed though, is I think it is making me lazy to a
certain extent.  I don't seem to be "absorbing" the exposure settings and
technical stuff as much as I used to in the learning process.  Sometimes, I
am finding myself, just shooting, deleting and re-shooting until it looks
"good" rather than stopping and thinking "hmmm, I think that needs 2 stops
more light etc".  Instead, I just switch the dials around a little bit
haphazardly until I am happy with the result.

Exposure wise, after "discovering" how easily I can "save" underexposed
images, I am also becoming much less pedantic about having the exposure
"spot on", and this can't be a good thing.  Of course, on the other hand,
when it comes to over exposure, it has made me think MORE about what I am
doing to prevent hot spots and blown out highlights...

So, really, in regards to film/digital making better photographers, I
believe that they both have merits for and against improving people as
photographers, I think it is just a matter of taste really...

tan.