Hi,

> you can't blame the camera for this. A smart photographer (no insult intended for
> your father)
> would have learnt the limitations of their gear.

yes, I agree. I wasn't moaning about automation, I was giving a counterexample to this
claim:

>>>And, to repeat, by the time one bought a ttl metering SLR, they probably
>>>knew what they were doing anyway.

>>But did they know what the meter was doing?

Someone who knew what he was doing, as far as estimating exposure was
concerned, was actually hindered by not understanding the automation,
which had been oversold. If anybody had troubled to explain to him how
reflected light meters work I'm sure he'd have been fine. But if you
don't know what you have to learn, you're a bit stuck!

--
Cheers,
 Bob