The change should have been $84.00+ but I was given
>>> $64.00+ .... shortchanged by $20.00. Bringing this to the
>>> attention of the cashier, I was told the amount of change I
>>> received was correct. That's what the computer in the
>>> register said.  I asked her to do the math, to subtract
>>> $85.00 from $100.00.  She looked at me like I was from outer
>>> space, and insisted that the computer was right.

I gave the clerk a ten dollar bill for an $8.59 purchase.  She placed
3.50 change in my hand.  I said, sorry, too much change, and tried to
hand it all back to her, but she figured feverishly for a couple of
minutes and proudly added another dollar to the pile in my hand.

I was a little embarrassed for her, but still feeling honest I said
sorry too much change I think it should be a buck forty-one total and
again tried to hand her the money back. The clerk went back to
figuring with furrowed brow, hearing the crowd in line start a
murderous murmur, and after much figuring and the people in line about
to kill me she added *another* dollar to the growing pile in my hand.

Hearing the train wreck of killer customers about to happen I smiled,
closed my hand and put the six bucks or so in my pocket,  said
"Perfect, thanks" and left the building.

Ethics question: if I had tried one more time to get the right change,
would it have been suicidal, considering the angry mob in line behind
me?

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com