Hello Shel,

Some of us always preferred a straight matte screen even in manual
focus bodies.  Whenever I have had a camera that could change focusing
screens I have always replaced the standard with a matte screen.

The bigger problem with the AF camera screens is that they are
brighter and finer which can make focusing with the matte more
difficult.

So far, on the PZ-1p, MZ-S, *ist and *istD I have had no trouble
focusing manually - that is my norm.

Size of viewfinder can also have a negative effect - the ZX-M even
with focus aids was rather small.

--
Best regards,
Bruce