Bundling several replies into one:

Keith Whaley wrote:

This is not an artifact of the exposure process, but you could actually
see this phenomenon with your own eyes, before you took the shots?

I guess that the camera reads the data off the sensor during exposure, and the effect you see is some kind of interference pattern resulting from this. All I saw when looking out the window was a darkened circle showing the outline of the spinning prop.

AFAIK that camera is fully electronic; there is no shutter. I'm not even sure if there's a mechanical aperture in there. The lens is awfully small...

Paul Stenquist wrote:

A fascinating -- and quite beautiful -- image. Is it over the south island? The propeller effect is amazing. I can't imagine what could have caused it to form such an image. Nice pic.

Thanks. It was hard to tell our exact location from where I was sitting. I think we weren't too far from Kaikoura, which is a small town on the East Coast of the South Island, about halfway between Christchurch and Blenheim. The coastline up there is absolutely fascinating if you're driving (better if you're passengering).
http://www.kaikoura.co.nz/

Stan Halpin wrote:

You said: 'Note hushkit ducts on the rear of the low-bypass JT-8D engines to mix surrounding air with the core and bypass airflows.'
My thought: 'Uhh, yeah. Right. I noticed that right away.'
Translation - it sounds like something only an airplane geek would understand. But nice pictures of big boys' toys!

Yeah I figured much the same thing but its about the only thing I could find quickly on Google. Air NZ were fitting those hush kits a number of years ago after receiving complaints when people realised how quiet the Ansett planes were when they started flying here. I think they eventually upgraded the whole fleet with new engines.

I'll shut up now that I've reminded our Australian friends about the whole Air NZ/Ansett fiasco :(

Cheers,

- Dave

http://www.digistar.com/~dmann/