Hi Tom,

[snip]
> Another pet-peeve for me is the hogwash in the realm of astronomy and
> cosmology.  While I don't doubt that there are extra-solar planets, the
main
> method of proof for the almost weekly proclamations of discoveries, is not
> too different from 20-30 years ago when the evidence was viewed as only
> "possible proof" and tentative.  Much of astronomical discovery is not
based
> on direct observation but on 50% observation and 50% hypothesizing.  How
> many details can you really tell about an object when you're thousand,
> millions, billions of light years away?  A close up look may tell a very
> different story.

Granted, extra solar planets can not be resolved with the telescopes we
have, but when a star wobbles on its axis, something has to cause it.
Luminosity is achieved only with a mass large enough for atomic
conversion, so if there is no luminous mass visibly close enough to
make a solar disk wobble, chances are high that it is of planetary origin
causing a gravitational wobble.

> IMO, the need for funding is driving the discoveries, not the quest for
> knowledge.  Theory is warped into fact.

That`s the wonderful thing about science, if you make a discovery,
they are going to try so very hard to prove you wrong.

> I feel sick now so I'm going to gather up some leeches. <g>

Don`t those things hurt?
> Tom C.
Steve Larson
Redondo Beach, California