> My personally driven top speed is a more modest 105mph in my first car

I've done 120mph or more in three cars:

 o  A Bentley R-type (on the A127 coming back from Southend).
    I started out running at around 80mph, and the speed gradually
    crept up.  Absolutely no sensation of speed.  Fortunately I
    didn't have to slow down rapidly, as I'm sure thar drum brakes
    (even if they are 14" drums) would take a long time to have
    much of an effect on a car that heavy going that fast.

 o  My Triumph Vitesse on the motorway spur from the M4 to Reading.
    Scary - the front of the car was almost lifting off the road.

 o  My current car - a Ford Mustang GT convertible - on route 3
    at around 2:00 am, with no other traffic in sight.  That was
    in 1986, when the car was new.