John Mustarde wrote:

> But in my defense, I have gotten just as good (or bad, depending on
> how you view it) processing at Sam's Club for $4 as I have for $23 per
> roll at a dip-and-dunk custom lab, where the owner is the lead
> technician and prime suspect in the bad processing saga.
>
> So since paying a higher price has never significantly improved the
> results I get using print film, I pay the lowest price. And even hold
> them to their "Back in X days or Free" guarantee.

My experience here has been just the opposite of yours.  I once did
something of a test between several labs - the
$5.00-per-roll-with-prints place in the local supermarket, COSTCO,
the mini-lab at the local camera shop, and the basic 2-hour
processing at a pro lab.  Prices ranged from about $5.00 to $22.00
for processing and printing a roll of 36 exposures.  As the prices
went higher, the quality was higher.  The pro lab was by far
superior to all but the local camera shop, although it was superior
to the shop by a small margin.

I see no reason to get cheap on processing and making even proof
prints when I may have spent hours, or even days, working on some
project and trying to get good photographs.  While it's true that I
rarely shoot color, I'm not going to spend my creative energy and
time and then get cheap on processing the results of that
expenditure.

YMMV, for the labs in your area may all be of the same quality, but
here there are definite differences.
--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]