I use a Nikon Coolscan 2000 w/Digital Ice, and yes, if there's a lot to fix,
it does degrade the image. This may not make a difference for you, but if
you have to scan quickly at high resolution, it will slow the process down
considerably. The degradation is basically that you lose sharpness and
contrast -- sometimes to a great degree if the image is badly scratched.
Most the time, it yields a better result for me to repair dust and scratches
myself in Photoshop.