> Dave,
>
> One way to "think" of fill flash is that it is supplemental highlights
> much like using a reflector or hair light or something.  It is not the
> main light that you would meter for.  So basically, it would help
> lighten shadows, put a sparkle in the eyes, etc.  It is not meant to
> be a main light.  If using the TTL metering in the camera, and
> lowering the flash compensation (several different ways), then the
> flash output is going to be lower than the sunlight and you are not
> going to get overexposure, just minor fill.

Ok, i see that now Bruce.However is it best to shoot the outdoor photos with flash on
TTL and meter in camera for face shadows then.I tend to lean to the HYP M on the PZ-1.I
would hazard
a ques that one way to lower out put is with a diffuser, omni bounce etc.

So i think what i'm trying to say is:
If i meter ambient light on scene,in Hyp M mode and keep the 280T on TTL BUT use a
diffuser or the
pocket omni bounce i have, that should lower the out put so the flash will just remove
some shadow on
the faces.Or meter as above then put flash on one of the Auto green/red modes and
difuse
that would
be ok to then.?

I think thats the confusing part for me at the moment,what setting on the flash to
use.TTL
Auto or MS or

> I struggled with the thought process at first myself.  I have found
> that by practicing it and shooting over and over observing the
> behavior and effects that it makes much more sense now.  Since you
> have a digital body, that is the easiest way to learn and observe.
> Pick a subject where you have shadows on the face and then start with
> no flash, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2 compensation and you will see what I
> mean.  For positive compensation it works better if you are not
> shooting manual mode as you would get overexposure - if in one of the
> auto modes (camera) then it would compensate for the higher flash
> output.

I do have the digital body but dont use flash much so its the 285HV for now.Although it
does have vari
power on it from full to 1/2 to 1/16.
Maybe its best to try that on the D body and see what level gets rid of the shadows and
just use that
out door and the TTL indoors.My wife will be there for moral and holding support<vbg>

Thanks and terrible sorry for the rambles and the not getting it quickly parts:-)
Dave