On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 08:29:56 +0900, you wrote:

>My brother recently purchased the Canon D30 and I had the opportunity to
>spend some time using it this past weekend.
snip>
>I find I'm in a bind (as will probably other members of the list, I suspect)
>when it comes to digital photography.
snip

I'm in the same bind.

I did a cost comparison after careful research, and decided the
cost/quality considerations are not there yet, at least not for a full
switch to the available interchangeable-lens 35mm SLR digital cameras
(Nikon, Canon, Fuji).

The problem is the high cost of being an  "early adopter" of new
technology. Those who adopt a new technology early in its life cycle
pay through the nose for the privilege. I have resolved never again to
pay huge prices just to get the newest toys first.

I'm the guy who paid $4200 for a Pentium 133 with 24 megs of RAM and a
"huge" 1.2 gig hard drive. Whoa - my latest computer (PIII 600, 128
mb, 30 gig HD, lots of other features) cost a whopping $600, and might
have been cheaper with more careful shopping.

Now, if digital photography was a work tool for me, of course I would
choose to adopt early, even if that meant paying through the nose. But
work tools are an ordinary cost of business, and should be justified
on the basis of their return on investment. In that scenario, were I a
working paid photog, I would crunch the numbers to see if it made
sense to invest in a digital SLR, even if that was instead of, or in
addition to, my Pentax gear.

I expect if I can hold off for two, three, or four more years, there
will be a nice selection of digital SLR's with two, three, or ten
times the resolution of today's choices, and at half or one-quarter of
current prices.

I'm looking forward to using the Pentax A* 200/4 Macro, or the tiny M
20/4, or even a new Pentax AF lens, mounted on an affordable high
resolution digital body.

I sure hope it happens.
--
Happy Trails,