John & Texdance,
I adopted the policy of waiting later in its life cycle of new technology.
Usually there is something better due out in the next few months. Why pay
through the nose for the privilege. I never buy of the shelf PC's, and have
always built my own.

I'm certain, for the price of your latest computer (PIII 600, 128mb, 30 gig
HD, lots of other features) cost a whopping $600, you might have got a
faster and more reliable AMD Duron processor. They are A1 for DVD
and Graphics work.

..... Now, if digital photography was a work tool for me, of course I would
choose to adopt early, even if that meant paying through the nose. But work
tools are an ordinary cost of business, and should be justified on
the basis of their return on investment. In that scenario, were I a working
paid photog, I would crunch the numbers to see if it made sense to invest in
a digital SLR, even if that was instead of, or in addition to, my
Pentax gear.

Surely as a working pro photographer you can write off a new camera or
lenses against taxes? There must be some sort of allowance!

James