Tan,

If your budget will stretch for it before the GFM trip, get yourself a
Doskocil or Pelican hard case. They are dustproof, waterproof, just
about everything proof. They can go through the baggage handler's
barrage no sweat. I have a Doskocil case which is roughly the same size
as a Pelican 1550 case. The pull-apart foam inserts hold your gear like
a glove. Mine also accepts a decent sturdy padlock, not one of those
pissy little suitcase padlocks that a three year old could bite off.

I use a Lowepro Phototrekker as my carry on bag (sans camera gear), and
check all my gear through the checked luggage in the hard case.

I paid about 250.00 for mine, but this was some years ago. The prices
are probably scary by now.

Here's a shot of it with most of my gear ready to go!
www.heritageservices.com.au/images/_IGP0171.jpg

The empty slot is where my *ist D with battery grip slots in.

Cheers

Shaun

Dr. Shaun Canning
Cultural Heritage Services