In most U.S. airports you relinquish control of the luggage and are not present when they inspect. In fact, in most instances you are not allowed to be present. So if they don't like the x-ray scan or have a slow day or you just happen to be the 1 out of x that gets a random inspection, then your case will be opened. If there is a lock, the lock will be destroyed in order to open the case.

It is now possible to buy locks which have a small symbol indicating that the security folks (and selected thieves) have master keys. Such locks they will open rather than destroy.

Stan

Bob W wrote:

Hi,